Monday, September 9, 2013

First Learning Reflection - #OCL4Ed

Image from : "http://eit.europa.eu/education/"
Firstly I would say I am glad to registering this workshop on “Open content licensing for educators (OCL4Ed)” because up to now things I have learn from OCL4Ed are really interesting. And I should mention this is the first online experience I am getting and though it is challenging it is really engaging and motivating. OCL4Ed is helping me to learn more about open educational resources (OER), copyright, and Creative Commons (CC) licenses.

According to Stephen Downes “Education is not a one way stream, it’s about sharing”. As the initial step we all have created a Blog for OCL4Ed. Since I have IT background it was an easy task for me to create a one. But blogging was a new thing. It is a pleasure to say that I have met a group from 66 countries who willing to share their knowledge and ideas through the course. Reading their blogs, Reading their Google+ Posts and tweets were really interesting and I gained a vast knowledge not only from the activities but observing, digging and sharing. I feel I am making my learning day by day forward through this course.

Education is the key to unlock the golden door of freedom. And education should be free for everyone. I am really proud to say that I am a Sri Lankan who using the advantage of free-education. Our government spending lots of money for Education and because of that Sri Lanka got 91.2% of Literacy rate. But there are still lots of people who don’t have facilities to be educated.

Session-1 was actually interesting. The forum about teaching as a vocation or profession is also motivating. It allowed me to think teaching in perfect way. I have gained several key inputs from the videos from StephenDownes and Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu.  We are not shy to use "Freedom" in Education. Everyone has the right to education and it should be shared. Open licensing and OER will solve above problems to some extent. Education is essential to change, for education creates both new wants and the ability to satisfy them. That change can be done only with sharing. “Digital Freedom” will allow improving the quality of education worldwide.

Since Open Licensing can solve many problems I personally feel there should be quality and correct. I hope Open Licensing and OER may help people to study in a freely way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment