Monday, September 16, 2013

Second Learning Reflection - #OCL4Ed


Session two of the course #OCL4Ed was really engaging session which defined the concept of Open Educational Resources and explained more about “Openness” in OER. And throughout the session it discussed the issues associated with the ownership of ideas in education in a digital world.

Image from : "http://iberry.com/cms/files/oer.png"
Dr. David Wiley ‘s video clip clearly taught me “Openness” is about Free Price + Free Permissions. Educational resources like Video clips, Textbooks, that facilitates teaching, learning and research should be completely free to access and unusually liberal copyright permissions to Reuse, Revise, Remix and to Redistribute when Material is old enough for copyright to have expired - in the public domain and Copyright owner applies an open license. It gave me an idea about how we use OER. But the idea was grown when I watched the video clip from Professor Eben Moglen & Professor Lawrence Lessie.

Eben’s and Lawrence’s clip was about Ownership of ideas. Eben Moglen explained how sharing for educational purposes has become "theft". I feel you cannot exactly produce an idea. Because ideas coming from the knowledge you have gained, from lots of people who shared their ideas.  So if I produce an idea from others knowledge, how can I tell someone has stolen my idea? You cannot call it as a theft. Shirin says “When someone copy exactly word by word is 'theft'. when he copies from a group of people is research. We try to produce the best work through other people ideas and experience.”. Me too agree with this quote. I was also so much impressed with Lessig’s speech. He summarised "openness" as follows. “Openness” is a commitment to a certain set of values
  • Value of Freedom
  • Value of Community
  • Value of Limits and regulations
  • Value of Respecting the Creator
 Lessig describes this as a balance of creativity, where  with openness  "All Rights Reserved" can be converted to "Some Rights Reserved". There should be a value given by the society for "Producers" as well as "Distributor".  Because producers and distributors have interests in what happens to ideas.

Open text book activity also really motivating. It just made me think that 140 charactors also can do a big thing to education as well. Thanks to Sharyn Fitzpatrick and Wayne Mackintosh for publishing the book. I would like to add these concept in my future teaching activities. 

"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas" 
-George Bernard Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment